Wednesday, January 16, 2008

CiTiZeN KaNe`s "DeLiVeRaNCe"...


One of my favorite Canadian HiP HoP groups would have to be Scarborough`s Citizen Kane, consisting of emcees Spade & Kane. When asked about their name this is what they said in a 2004 interview from HipHopCanada.com (you can read it here)...

"The name just like represents - it`s an oxymoron, it`s like you`re Citizen, you`re law-abiding, you`re Kane, you`re a sinner, you know what I mean? So basically we were trying to get something that represents the balance that you have to go through in Life, you have to be law-abiding but you kind of have to be bad…I just thought of it and then we saw the movie and we went with that whole movie theme stuff..."

I think that may be way I really DiG their music, because they kick that true to Life shit that I can relate to. First heard their music on a good ol` college HiP HoP radio show back in around `97-`98, believe it was El Karam`s "One 4 All" on 89.1 fm (Loved that show! BiG Up Karam wherever you`re at now~a~dayS), the trackS were "Lost Angles" & "Reality `N` Facts" (I`m gon` have to DiG them up for y`all) off the Treehouse Records released "The Epic EP", which was produced by ERF Productions & K-Cut (formerly from Main Source). The EP itself was nominated as `Best HiP HoP Album or EP` at the Canadian Urban Music Awards in 1998. A year later they dropped their debut album "Deliverance" produced by Sleepwalkaz Productions, also a Treehouse Records release & it was nominated for `Best Rap Recording` at the 2000 Juno Awards...

Citizen Kane dropped their first single back in `95 titled "Soul Survivor" & it was featured on the "It`s All Good" compilation (I`m actually lookin` for that joint myself). What`s also DoPe is back in 2000 The National Film Board of Canada produced a Rapumentary directed by Alison Duke featuring Citizen Kane titled "Raisin` Kane". This film was awarded best Canadian documentary at the Reel World Film Festival & won the HBO Best Documentary award in New Yorks Urban World Film Festival. The film takeS you on the journey along with Citizen Kane into the world of independent HiP HoP as they release their first album "Deliverance". Anyway, that`s enough ramblin` from me....LoL, this album is great HiP HoP music (my opinion of course:), if ya like rugged beatS & meaningful lyricS with some replay value do ya`self a favor & check it out...





1. Intro
2. Deliverance
3. Soldier Story
4. Monopoly Money
5. Interlude
6. Gambler
7. INI {ft. Califate}
8. Yancy
9. Graffiti Knights
10. Remembrance Day
11. Who The Fuck?
12. Interlude #2
13. Tech Blows
14. Ice Niggaz
15. Interlude #3
16. In Da Cut
17. Confrontations
18. Eavesdroppin`




N`JoY...

10 comments:

Pottytoddy said...

Thanks for upping this. Eavesdropping is among the best canadian rap tracks. That doccumentary was actually made/conceived by one of those cats sister's after she watched dukes struggle to succeed in the biz

HeRBaN LyRiX said...

Just noticed that the listing on the back of the CD is wrong, this is the actual tracklisting...



1. Intro
2. Deliverance
3. Soldier Story
4. Monopoly Money
5. Interlude
6. Gambler
7. INI {ft. Califate}
8. Yancy
9. Graffiti Knights
10. Interlude #2
11. Remembrance Day
12. Who The Fuck?
13. Tech Blows
14. Ice Niggaz
15. Interlude #3
16. In Da Cut
17. Confrontations
18. Eavesdroppin`





1

Travis said...

Hey thanks man. Had the Epic EP, which I liked a lot, but never found this. Good lookin' out.

HeRBaN LyRiX said...

No probS homie! Let me know what ya thought about it, thanks for the comment as well I really appreciate that! `Nuff folkS just DL with no thanks & that`s really all I ask for...







STaY BLeSS`n...

HeRBaN LyRiX said...

You`re welcome, thanks for that lil` bit of info` on the flick as well, truly appreciate that. Thanks for checkin` the blog as well, hope to see ya back...








STaY BLeSS`n...

Anonymous said...

Respect! I've been looking all over for this album! Dope talented cats from Scarborough! I'm an aspiring emcee as well, so that rapumentary of Citizen Kane was an eye opener! Keep on sharing these rare gems!
Bless.

"I no longer fight with anger, but with overstanding"

Unknown said...

Yo man. I just found my Deliverance CD under my desk today, and popped it into my computer to give it an ol' listen. Decided to look for the cover art on google and got linked to this post. Propz for the post, and the fixed tracklisting (as mine was messed up when I imported the CD). You got any of there other ish? I only got a handful of mp3's but would love The Epic EP, or other stuff.

HeRBaN LyRiX said...

Thanks for taking the time to drop the comment, appreciate that! I do have their older ish, give me sometime & I`ll post it up for you...









STaY BLeSS`n...

Lionel B said...

Hello

I sell or exchange the citizen kane deliverance ep on vinyl!Record is excellent

Send me offers!

b.lionel.2@caramail.com

Lionel B said...

Hello

I sell or exchange the citizen kane deliverance ep on vinyl!Record is excellent

Send me offers!

b.lionel.2@caramail.com