Saturday, May 02, 2009

PoSiTiVe K`s "The GeNTLeMaN, The RaPPeR"...

I`ve gotta give some major PRoPs to DJ Dee-Ville from over at Ain`t It Good To You for putting together another gem for your listening pleasure! If you`re a fan of Positive-K you`re most definitely gon` love this joint. For those of you that may have missed out on the post I dropped a while back for Pos` debut album, you can find that here. Here`s what DJ Dee-Ville had to say about the gem he put together & mixed...


To my Mom and my Dad...You have to love Positive-K, I mean really, not only was he intelligent, clean cut and dapper he remains incredibly entertaining. I always got the sense that Pos loved to rhyme, he was cool and confident, one of the few rappers in the Slick Rick mould to be funny but come off razor sharp at the same time.

Born in the Bronx; Positive-K`s first national release was a contribution to a compilation dropped by New Jersery label Star Maker in `86. The following year he signed to the excellent New York label First Priority. Unfortuntaly as First Priority was owned by MC Lyte and Audio Two`s father Nat Robinson, Pos`s career was under-developed and slightly overshadowed by his sibling label mates.

Pos still managed to drop one of my all time favorite Golden Age songs "Step Up Front". I remember buying the 12" from a tiny local indie store. I loved the First Priority logo; the red and yellow always seemed so fresh at the time.

Life after First Priority led Pos to a 1992 album and a gold single in the shape of
"I Gotta Man" as well as work with Big Daddy Kane, Brand Nubian, M.O.P and Nas.

The world of Pos-K has been pretty quiet of late, until an album titled "Back To The Old School" surfaced a couple of months ago. I immediately got excited & thought, shit! maybe some genius has compiled all my favorite Pos cuts together. Sadly the album didn`t quite live up to my expectations. It`s worthy of a listen but It`s mainly unreleased late 90`s songs with a couple of remakes of original tracks.

So I felt compelled to do this. I found all the great Pos joints from the late 80`s and ordered them as if it was a lost album. I took the liberty of placing the First Priority logo on there for fun and added a couple of later 12" only remixes. Shit turned out dope. I have been jammin` this non stop since I mixed and mastered it, just imagining the classic status it would now have achieved if it had dropped in 1988.

djdee-ville@msn.com

aintitgoodtoyou.blogspot.com





No comments: