Friday, September 28, 2012

DoGG PouND PoSSe`s "DoGG E STyLe"

I grabbed this from a pawn shop a few years ago, picked it up for like 2 or 3 dollars. The only real reason I chose it was because of the cover art; 3 chicks bent over in G~strings, why wouldn`t I? Besides I thought maybe it was some sort of Dogg Pound (you know Snoop, Kurupt & Daz) affiliated album compilation or something. That`s not the case though my friends....LoL, I still really have no idea who the Dogg Pound Posse is. However these 3 kats, or I should say doggs, probably rep` San Francisco.....this is just an assumption mind you, I base it on 2 facts though. 1) Their album was released thru In-A-Minute Records, which I believe is a small indy label based in the Bay Area. 2) At the end of "Peep The Game" they use a short lil` clip from a movie or something talking about some "bogarts from `Frisco", probably referring to the Dogg Pound Posse`s hometown. Anyway there`s 3 members in the group; Cheeze Dogg & Chilly Dogg. As for the 3rd member`s name I couldn`t tell ya....LoL, maybe it`s Hawt Dogg, who knows someone school me please!!!


I know what you`re sayin` to ya`self after reading the last few sentences, "Is he for fuckin` real? That`s their names?? You`re joking right?!?"....Nope well except for the whole Hawt Dogg thing of course. Those were the names they chose to rock with....LoL, anyway once you get passed their names it`s not all that bad really. Sure they may not have the mic presence of say Snoop Dogg or the production of Daz, but they do manage to drop some good tracks. Production for the album was handled by Dr. D, Don Marsh & Jeff Valentine. I`m not really familiar with any of these kats or their work, but they do a decent enough job behind the boards on this album. The albums opens up with a short lil` storytelling track "Alias", the D.P.P. tell their tale using the names of guns for the names of the characters in their story. Not quite as iLL as Spice 1`s "187 Proof", but it`s still a good listen. "Angel Dust" is a cool track warning about the dangers of drugs backed by a beat that helps carry their message, there`s also some Richard Pryor samples used. You may recognize a few samples used for the beat on "Ride Me Like A Pony" (Kurtis Blow`s "That`s The Breaks" being one of `em), a song that ya should be able to figure out what it`s about....LoL, the D.P.P. drops the sexual flows in favor of some self~reflection & confession on "Life I Chose". Don`t worry though the sexual lyrics were only on hold for roughly 4 minutes & 30~some seconds. "Dogg E Style" covers the complex & mind bogglin` topic of the sexual position that every man wants to put Nicki Minaj in. I personally have no idea what a "Skunk Booty Bitch" is, but apparently the Dogg Pound Posse has no mercy for `em....LoL, at least that`s what they told me on the House~vibed "No Mercy 4 A Bitch"...


 Talk about comedy in track sequencing, we go from a "fuck a bitch" song to a love tune with "How You Like It?" which features Darryl DeBarge (of DeBarge Family fame). I personally didn`t like it, but hey it may be your cup of tea. "Speaking The Truth" is next, backed by a nice soulful beat the D.P.P. kicks some wise words for the youth. "Father Like Son" is another self~reflective joint, it`s ok. The beat`s very iLL, but unfortunately the D.P.P. can`t really rock it the way it should have been rock`D. Don`t get me wrong the content of their lyrics are deep, but it`s their delivery that just didn`t do the beat justice. I would love to have the instrumental. Another love tune shows up in the form of "Signed Confession" (it`s better than the first one in my opinion), it has a House/ Dance vibe to it. The Dogg Pound Posse decides to get their Grand Master Flash & The Furious Five on with "Let That Go". The beat uses a sample that all Hip Hop heads should recognize (that being "The Message"), so that should give you an idea for the vibe of this track. For some reason I couldn`t help, but sign along with the hook....LoL, it`s probably the BuDDah. The album closes out with "Peep The Game", it`s a decent track but I find at times it drowns out the rappers` voice. In the end though, for the 2 or 3 dollars I spent on this album I can`t complain. The beats are DoPe & once you get passed the fact that these doggs aren`t lyricists the album`s not all that bad. So go `head & check it out for ya`self...





Label: In-A-Minute Records
Released: 1993



1. Alias
2. Angel Dust
3. Ride Me Like A Pony
4. Life I Chose
5. Dogg E Style
6. No Mercy 4 A Bitch
7. How You Like It {ft. Darryl DeBarge}
8. Speaking The Truth
9. Father Like Son
10. Signed Confession
11. Let That Go
12. Peep The Game








 
 







N`JoY...

No comments: