Monday, March 14, 2016

MoNDaY CiNeMa: "PRiSoN SoNG"...

Alright, since I`m starting to feel a little better today I figured that I would try & post up a lil` something for y`all. I`ve been pretty sick with the Flu or some ish since Wednesday, had a fever, body aches, pounding all-day long lasting headaches, the always enjoyable runny nose (that`s sarcasm if ya didn`t catch it), annoyingly vicious coughing (still got that though). Needless to say I wouldn`t wish this ish on anyone, not even my enemies so I hope that you all are in good health. Anyways, I wanted to try something a lil` different by posting up a movie. I have always wanted to share movies on this blog, but since it`s so much more time consuming I just kind of skipped it altogether. Never had or have the time to spend the hours that it would take to upload the flicks, then also having to worry about the possibility of them getting taken down after spending all that time uploading them. So then it came to me since most folks prefer to stream ish anyway why not just use movies that I can find on good ol` YouTube? Sure it may be a lil` lazy on my part, but hey you guys can still view some movies & if you prefer to DL them well there`s a whole lot of easy ways to use browser add-ons to download straight from YouTube. So it`s a win-win situation for us all.....LoL, I save some time & y`all are still entertained...


I was thinkin` of calling these series of posts "MoNDaY CiNeMa", ya I know it`s kind of generic & corny but hey that`s all I can come up with a the moment. If you have a better suggestion feel free to leave it in a comment on this post. BiG uP RapWiseTV/RapWise.com for uploading the flick to YouTube, much appreciated! Seriously, I first found this movie back in 2002 at the local video store (yes folks at one point in time you could actually go to a retail store to rent movies) & it was on VHS not DVD. Oh yeah, let me share the title of it with you so you guys know what I`m talking about....LoL, it`s called "Prison Song"





Anyway, I seen that Q-Tip, Mary J. Blige & Fat Joe were in the movie so being the BiG Hip Hop head that I was/still am I decided to rent it. Didn`t matter that I had never even heard of the movie, didn`t know of it until I picked it up off the video store`s shelf that day. More importantly though, it didn`t even matter that I had no clue on what it was about. Ya see back in the day I just rented any & every "hood" movie that I came across, especially if it had some rappers in it.....LoL, this means unfortunately that I have wasted more than a few hours of my Life watching some wack/weak movies, but still I give `em all a chance with an open mind. After all you never know what diamond in the rough you might find.....Ha~Hah, corny but true! So back to the movie, I rented it & ended up hooking up my 2 VCRs (yeah I was ballin`....LoL) together so I could make a copy for myself. It`s kind of funny because I still have that dubbed copy at my parents` crib somewhere in the basement in a box. Too bad I don`t have a VCR any more.....LoL, I DL`d this joint from YouTube anyway so I`m good...




As for "Prison Song" it`s a decent movie that was released in 2001, directed by Darnell Martin who also wrote the movie alongside Q-Tip. A few of the cast members that y`all heads may be familiar with are; Q-Tip, Mary J. Blige (her acting debut), Fat Joe, Snow (you know "Informer"), Noreaga & 'Bobbito' Garcia a.k.a. DJ Cucumberslice (Stretch & Bobbito Show). With that said, let me just give you a little heads up that this movie is somewhat of a musical. Yes there`s some singing or rappin` done as the characters` dialogue at times, but it`s not a full-on musical like it was originally intended to be. So it`s not all show-tunesy....LoL, I found that the singing or rappin` transitions were done more naturally. Obviously not every time, but for the most part it was still pretty easy to get into the movie`s emotionally driven story. I`m not a fan of musicals at all, but I still found it to be interesting enough to watch. Q-Tip does a solid job taking the viewers on an emotional roller coaster ride, you can`t help but feel sorry for Elijah (his character`s name). The movie`s story line is one of actions & consequences, so check it out...















N`JoY...

No comments: