Sunday, May 25, 2008

PoSiTiVe K`s "The SKiLLZ DaT PaY Da BiLLZ"...

I was listening to "I`m Not Havin` It" the other day, you know that BaNG`n MC Lyte & Positive K duet, & it got me to searching for Positive K`s 1992 debut album "The Skillz Dat Pay Da Bills" since I had slept on it when it first dropped. My search didn`t last all that long, 2 days to be exact, I found the CD at one of the good ol` pawn shops that I hit up frequently for all their used CD gems -- the price? A whole $2 & some tax....LoL, gotta love that!!!

I`m sure y`all Ol` School headZ have heard the track "I Got A Man" (it reached #14 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1993), if not it`s on the album along with "Nightshift", a Big Daddy Kane produced single that Positive K ended up releasing on his own. Other stand out tracks (my opinion of course:) are "Shakin`", "How The Fuck Would You Know?","Carhoppers", "Ain`t No Crime", "Minnie The Moocher" & "Nightshift [Rmx]"...

I`m not sure if Positive K is (or was at the time) a 5 %`er, but his debut album definitely had a balance of Gods & Earths themes blended in with some GaNGSTa~iSM & PoP~CuLTuRe based moments. The beats are more on the laid~back vibe, on a side~note I`ve got to mention a lil` somethin` I`ve noticed after BuMP`n K`s album all week. I`m not sure if it`s the BuDDaH I`m blazin` but at times when I`d forget who I was listening to I thought it sounded a lil` like Treach from Naughty By Nature, or maybe it`s the other way around -- Treach sounds like Positive K flow~wise anyway...

I`ve included two 12 inches with the album link, so enjoy...


Positive K - The Skills Dat Pay Da Bills
Label: 4th & Broadway
Released: 1992



The Skills Side:

1. Intro (Pos K Theme) (0:57)
2. Pass The Mic (4:00)
3. One 2 The Head (4:10)
4. Shakin` (4:57)
5. How The Fuck Would You Know? (5:15)
6. Carhoppers (3:29)
7. Nightshift (4:40)

Pay The Bills Side:

8. Intro (Back The Fuck Up) (1:08)
9. I Got A Man (3:52)
10. Ain`t No Crime (5:02)
11. The Shout Out (2:37)
12. Friends (4:51)
13. Minnie The Moocher {ft. Grand Daddy I.U.} (4:11)
14. Nightshift [Rmx] (4:49)
15. A Flower Grows In Brooklyn (4:07)
16. It`s All Over (4:46)


Positive K - Carhoppers [12 Inch]
Released: 1993


1. Carhoppers [Radio]
2. Carhoppers [Radio Instr.]
3. Carhoppers [Street]
4. Carhoppers [Street Instr.]
5. Carhoppers [LP]




Positive K - Ain`t No Crime [12 Inch]
Released: 1993



1. Ain`t No Crime [Radio Version]
2. Ain`t No Crime [K-Def DL Mix]
3. Ain`t No Crime [D-R. Mix]
4. How The Fuck Would You Know? [Radio Mix]
5. How The Fuck Would You Know? [LP]









N`JoY...

No comments: