Saturday, February 02, 2019

iCe CuBe, SHaQ & M.J. - "We Be BaLLiN`" [uNReLeaSeD]...

No...your eyes do not deceive you, you are seeing a NEW post on this here blog! Yes, yes a 'rebirth' of the blog has been a long time coming & well that time is now ladies & gentlemen. Hopefully Life has been treating you well. I won`t get into the long story about the reasons behind the hiatus, no one cares anyway....LoL, so let`s skip the chit chat & get to some music shall we? This is just a quick post, but still I think it`s a decent start. What I have to share with y`all is some unreleased goodness; an odd collabo` at first glance, but not so much once you know some of the song`s backstory. So what is it that I`m talking about? Well, apparently back in 1998 someone in the music industry decided to open up a proverbial blender & threw in some Ice Cube, some Shaquille O`Neal & a lil` Michael Jackson to spice things up on the hook I guess, then hit that mix button & threw the end result over the "We Be Clubbin`" beat & titled it "We Be Ballin`". So does this make it an unofficial remix? I don`t know, but I can only guess that DJ Clark Kent & Dutch are the producers of this song seeing as how it`s pretty much the same instrumental as the previously mentioned "We Be Clubbin`"...

After doing a little research regarding this song I discovered that it was apparently recorded for some NBA compilation that was set to drop towards the year in 1998. The song would`ve been featured in some commercials for the NBA`s "I Love This Game" campaign. Unfortunately there was a player~initiated strike that year so the entire project was scraped. To be honest, I`m a little curious about what other songs would`ve been on this comp`. My theory on how this song came to be has to do with the fact that Ice Cube had already worked with Shaq on the "Steel Soundtrack" which came out that same year, 1998. So that can explain the 2 of them connecting for the song, well that & since they used Cube`s beat it only made sense to include him on the song. Now the M.J. connection stems from the uncredited feature that Shaq had on "2 Bad" from Michael`s  1995 album "HIStory:Past, Present & Future Book I". I guess Shaq wanted to return the favor so he insisted that M.J. got down on the track. So there ya have it, enjoy the song...



























R.i.P. M.J...

No comments: