Thursday, August 08, 2013

C-STyLe PReSeNTs: "STRaiGHT OuTTa CaLi"...

Re~uPP`d, originally posted 06.11.2012... 



What`s goin` on y`all? Hope all is good with y`all. I`ve been workin` a whole lot of extra hours so unfortunately I haven`t really had the time to post up much here on the blog, my apologies but sometimes Life just gets in the way.....LoL, anyway what I have to share with y`all today is a compilation that C-Style (Dogg Pound fame) put together back in 1998. From what I can tell it was kind of over~looked when it dropped, I mean there`s not too many folks out there that talk about it.....LoL, that`s not a bad thing though, maybe there was low distribution. Who knows? Either way I`m sharing it with y`all now so more folks can hear some of the hidden gems within this lil` compilation featuring plenty artists reppin` California, hence the title "Straight Outta Cali"...


You get some known kats like Kurupt, Daz, Snoop Dogg, MC Eiht, Nate Dogg (R.I.P.), Crooked I, Jayo Felony, Tray Dee, Dresta, Twinz, B-Legit & Soopafly. Then there`s a few folks that I don`t really know anything about like Big Bub, Mr. Tan, Jay Money, Da Low Lifes, G-Money & Legacy to list a few. It`s alright, I really don`t mind compilations featuring artists that I`m not really familiar with though because I won`t have any expectations like I would with an artist that I`ve listened to before, so it kind of leaves a lil` somethin` to anticipate. Just like the artists featured, the production side of things features a nice lil` mixture of known & not~so ~known beat bangers. You have Big Bub, Soopafly, Blaqthoven, Daz, Moe-Z, G. Black, Lil` Beau & L.T. Hutton who all contribute tracks for the compilation...


As for the music, it`s a decent listen especially the tracks from the artists that I`m not familiar with. The "Intro" opens things off with producer Big Bub & Dresta The Gangsta, yes the same Dresta that ran with B.G Knocc-Out & Eazy-E who at one time had beef with Snoop & Tha Dogg Pound, the beef`s obviously now squashed & Dresta mentions that in the bars he kicks -- gotta say that his appearances on this comp` were a nice lil` surprise. On "Black Pussy" he`s joined by the Compton Cyco MC Eiht & Slaughterhouse`s Crooked I over Lil` Beau`s mellowed out ode to sweet Black pussy, how could ya not like it?.....LoL, the "Way Cool Intro" is kinda weak in my opinion.....LoL, it`s just a skit basically with Big Bub & Dresta stoppin` off at a Weed Spot to grab a lil` somethin` that`ll have `em feelin` way cool.....LoL, I`m sure if ya skipped it C-Style wouldn`t be too upset with ya...


Producer Blaqthoven provides a good thumpin` beat for "Way Cool" that includes some nice funky piano keys. It`s the perfect backdrop for Mr. Tan, B-Legit & Crooked I to kick that way cool ish. The Twinz & Tray Dee connect on the next track titled "All Aboard", a dark poundin` beat that includes some well~placed train & train horn samples produced by G. Black. The next track is also produced by G. Black, but it`s a lot more on the mellow`d out G~Funk soundin` side when compared to the previous joint he produced. Either way Kurupt, Tray Dee, Jay Money & Crooked I all show up to flex a lil` testosterone on the hookless "King Pin".  Daz follows up his homie Kurupt`s appearance with the aggressive self produced "Gon` Hurt Somebody"...


The "Ghetto Shit [Interlude]" is skippable after you`ve heard it once, it`s another lil` skit that has C-Style gettin` a call from his girl & she tells him that she crashed his Broam so he calls up Daz for a lift to see what happened....LoL, their actin` is top notch that`s all I gotta say. "Victims Of Reality" is the track that most folks will pick this compilation up for. Why`s that you ask? Well it`s simple really, it`s the track that features Dresta & Nate Dogg (R.I.P.) collab`N together -- finally puttin` all that beef shit behind them over a Big Bub produced beat. "Fo` Damn Sho`" has Soopafly on the solo tip flexin` his bars over a self~produced track...


"Get Ya` Girl Dogg" is a West Coast spin on BDP`s classic "Super Hoe", the track`s produced by Soopafly & it features Snoop Doog, MC Eiht & Jayo Felony. "It`s Goin` Down" is a banger produced by Blaqthoven featuring Jay Money & Da Low Lifes with Tray Dee handlin` the hook. G-Money shows up to handle the only R&B joint on this compilation with "If You Take Me Home" produced by L.T. Hutton...


 "Don`t Test Me" is my favorite track on this compilation, Moe-Z provides a nice smoothed~out~but~funky vibe for Tray Dee, Jay Money, Crooked I & Legacy to spit their bars to. Things close off with the Blaqthoven produced "We Gangstas" which features a gang of folks....LoL, most of `em I know nothing about aside from Bo Roc who was a part of the Dove Shack. For featuring a lot of unknown kats it`s a nice lil` posse cut. So that`s my thoughts on this compilation put together by C-Style, go `head & check out for ya`self I`m sure you`ll enjoy it...




Label: 19th Street Records/ Breakaway Entertainment
Released: 1998



1. Intro {Dresta & Big Bub}
2. Black Pussy {Dresta, MC Eiht & Crooked I}
3. Way Cool Intro {Dresta & Big Bub}
4. Way Cool {Mr. Tan, B-Legit & Crooked I}
5. All Aboard {Twinz & Tray Dee}
6. King Pin {Kurupt, Tray Dee, Jay Money & Crooked I}
7. Gon` Hurt Somebody {Daz}
8. Ghetto Shit [Interlude] {Daz & C-Style}
9. Victims Of Reality {Dresta & Nate Dogg}
10. Fo` Damn Sho` {Soopafly}
11. Get Ya` Girl Dogg {Snoop Dogg, Jayo Felony & MC Eiht}
12. It`s Goin` Down {Tray Dee, Jay Money & Da Low Lifes}
13. If You Take Me Home {G-Money}
14. Don`t Test Me {Tray Dee, Crooked I, Legacy & Jay Money}
15. We Gangstas {Lil` Tip, Coco Loc, Ducc Dogg & Bo Roc}











SoLiDFiLeS LiNK...








R.i.P. NaTe DoGG...

No comments: