Sunday, April 06, 2008

Yo-Yo`s "EBoNy" [UNReLeaSeD ALBuM]...


Yolanda Whittaker...or as the HiP HoP world knows her, Yo-Yo definitely deserves some props for her role in the Women`s HiP HoP movement, but she tends to be forgotten. I`m not really sure why, regardless though she`s gon` get some well deserved BiG uPs on this BLoG! Most of y`all should know about Miss Yo-Yo. However if you don`t, no worries I`ll give you a lil` run~down...you`re just gon` have to do me a favor first, pick up your keyboard & slam it over your head at least 3 or 4 times until a few keys fall off. That way you`ve knocked yourself senseless, a good enough reason for not knowin` who Yo-Yo is.....LoL, JoKeS! Anyway, I`ll give you that run~down now...
 
 
 

 

Yo-Yo made her first recorded appearance on the song "It`s A Man`s World" from Ice Cube`s 1990 album "AmeriKKKa`s Most Wanted". Continuing to work with Cube she dropped her critically acclaimed debut album in 1991 titled "Make Way For The Motherlode" containing the hit single "You Can`t Play With My Yo-Yo" featuring Ice Cube. Then she followed things up with 1992`s "Black Pearl", an album that the critics seemed to enjoy but the sales were disappointing. I guess fans just didn`t like the uplifting themes & positive messages that went against the norm` at the time, that being Gangsta Rap...

 


 


 

 
Yo-Yo did somewhat of a 360 with her 1993 album "You Better Ask Somebody", comin` with the gun~talk & blunt sparks. She was definitely more on the combative side of things with this LP, clearly demanding ReSPeCT -- making sure that she didn`t come off preachy with all the positivity like many felt she did on the previous album. It`s almost like she was trying to redeem herself, even goin` as far as DiSS`n herself on the song titled "They Shit Don`t Stink" spittin`; "I fell off, but now I`m back `cuz that "Black Pearl" shit was wack..." I read an interview with Yo-Yo from Rapstation.com where she was asked about "Black Pearl" & DiSS`n it, here`s a lil` of what she had to say about it;

"It was a shock & people wasn`t ready for it. When I dissed it, I didn`t really DISS IT. I mean, I did, but I DIDN`T, you know what I mean? It just wasn`t what I wanted at that time. But hey, it was a break through...I was battlin` my identity anyway. West Coast was so gangsta...I had never been a tom boy. (laughs) I was fightin` trying to show my feminine side & tryin` to work with Cube & the N.W.A. image, just being a female in it though..."
(you can read the rest of it here...)

 

 


 

Anyway, "You Better Ask Somebody" also contains Yo-Yo`s 3rd collabo` with Ice Cube "The Bonnie & Clyde Theme". This joint was actually a B~Side on the album`s 1st single, "IBWin` Wit` My Crewin", funny thing though it`s really the only song off the album that received substantial radio airplay. "Total Control" was her next album, released in 1996 with features from Ice Cube, MC Breed, MC Lyte, Ruff Dogg & production from Yo-Yo herself, Warren G & DJ Battlecat. The album flopped, but it did contain "Bonnie & Clyde II" her 4th collabo` with Ice Cube. In 1998 Yo-Yo finished recording "Ebony" her 5th & final album (at least for now), but due to label PoLiTRiCKS it was never released. Promo copies of the LP & 12 Inches of "Do You Wanna Ride?" were put into circulation, but a retail album never seen the light...

 


 

Aside from rappin` Yo-Yo has also done a lil` actin`, appearing in a few movies like 1991`s "Boyz N The Hood" & 1993`s "Menace II Society". She also held down a few TV show roles as well; appearing on "Martin" as Sheneneh`s homegirl Keylolo & on "New York Undercover" as Nikki to name a few. If you`ve played "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" then you`ve also heard her voice as Kendl Johnson (CJ & Sweet's sister). Anyway back to Yo-Yo`s "Ebony" album, apparently it was set for a release on September 29th, 1998. However due to the fact that someone at the label seriously fucked up some paperwork along the way, the guest appearances were not cleared for the album so the entire album was shelved. A music video for "Iz It All Still Good?" was released as well as Promo copies of the album, both CD`s & cassette tapes were pressed up before it ended up getting shelved. They now go for a decent penny now; $450-500 the last time I checked. Of course that price would drop significantly if the label ever decided to release it publicly, but sadly that`s not the case...

 

So for the time being a rip of the promo CD, I believe is all we have to hear it. The sound quality is decent, but I`m going to have to say that the mastering is slightly off. Since this is a promo release the production credits as well as the featured artist credits are a little harder to come by. So you actually need to hear the music to get a better understanding of the features & production credits. I`m almost certain that Rashad Smith produced most of if not all of the album. You can hear his 'Tumblin` Dice' trademark at the beginning of a few tracks, but then there`s also a few tracks without that you can hear him tryin` to pull off his best Puff Daddy impression. 



Yo-Yo - Ebony [Unreleased Album]
Recorded: 1998
Label: Elektra Records/ Asylum Records



1. Intro
2. Countin` Money
3. Do You Wanna Ride? {ft. Kelly Price}
4. Iz It All Still Good? {ft. Gerald Levert}
5. Get Up (And Do Your Thing)
6. Never Gonna Fall Again
7. Fantasy
8. Let Me Be The One
9. Good Girl
10. I Would If I Could {ft. Missy Elliott}
11. Pass It On {ft. Big Chan, Nic-Nak, Shorty G & Lady T}
















N`JoY...

5 comments:

EDAYE said...

One of my personal favorites whose voice needs to be out here now. Did you see her on VH1 Hip Hop honors when they saluted MC Lyte? Her voice and delivery where immaculate. On a side note thanks for all the comments on my latest posts. Between your Yo-Yo, BWP nad Rah Digga posts- Wow you are on a roll. I definitely have to do a post and link back to you on these. I appreciate the support and your brotherhood in hip hop..

HeRBaN LyRiX said...

It`s all about unity homie, at least for me anyway. There`s way too much beef out there now~a~days. Of course I peep`D that VH1 HiP HoP Honors joint, Lyte`s my favorite female emcee...










STaY BLeSS`n...

D.Shon said...

OMG!!!!! I've been trying to get YoYo's "Ebony" for sooooooooo long!! In particular I've been trying to get my hands on an MP3 of "Do You Wanna Ride" for (count 'em) 10 YEARS!! Thanks to you HeRB & LyRiCs for doing this piece on such a great artist and posting CD I've been trying to get for the longest. And props to "Anonymous" for putting it out there for you to scoop up!

D.Shon said...

Oh...and Big ups to you for posting Canadian Hip-Hop!! Wooo-Hoo.

Peace,

D.

HeRBaN LyRiX said...

Glad I was able to end ya` 10 year search homie! I just love that rush you get when ya find something that you`ve been lookin` for for a LoNG while, just happy I could help...







STaY BLeSS`n...